Sunday, March 25, 2007

Best books of 2006

Last year I read 52 books (not including university text books). There isn't time or the space to tell you about all of them so I'll mention the ones that I enjoyed the most.
The first book that I read that year was Across the Nightingale Floor (Lian Hearn), and the following two in the series Grass for his Pillow and Brilliance of the Moon. I won't give you the synopsis, but its oriental flavour (and setting), the story line and characters, are brilliant, and they're easy to read, so much so that its hard to put them down. This brings me to the book I read last in 2006. Shike: Time of the Dragons (Robert Shea) The style and setting very similar to Hearn's, it is however for an older reading level. I've yet to read the sequel for this one, and I'm also looking at buying the fourth in Hearn's series which was released towards the end of last year. As I've already discussed Kelley Armstrong I shall leave her from this post, just as I shall leave Rowling's Harry Potter.
two authors that must be mentioned are Theresa Tomlinson and Alison Croggon. Tomlinson's The Forestwife Trilogy (based on the tales of Robin Hood) I had read before, but I also managed to read Moon Riders and Voyage of the Snake Lady (both of which are based on the Greek Myths). These two were of particularly interest because I had studied Greek mythology as part of my first year of university. Alison Croggon is writing a fantasy series called the Books of Pellinor. The First Book of Pellinor, a.k.a. The Gift, has become one of my top ten favourite books. It mixes Lord of the Rings, harry potter and a Celtic feel, to give you a warm tale of adventure. The final of the series (book four) is not out until 2008.
However, if you like books with bit more of a literature feel, then Chocolat (Joanne Harris) and The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood) are for you. Chocolat you may know from the film adaptation, and although I love the film, the book does have a lot more filling and makes the film more enjoyable after you've read it.
What is the equivalent in book to a "Chick flick"? How about "fem-fiction"? My recommendation from last year would have to be Sophie's Bakery for the Broken Hearted (Lolly Winston). This book was free with a magazine at one point, the only reason I bought the magazine was because I'd heard about the book. I'm glad I did.
My new Horror/supernatura/fantasy writer of last year was L.A. Banks.

1 comment:

The Indigo Quill said...

Thank you for the follow!! I'd like to follow you back, but I don't see your contact links? If you could show me where to follow you back, that would be great! Thanks! :)